Sunday, March 22

Vintage Tips and Blog Awards


Someone passed these cooking tips to me. I'm not exactly sure where they came from. Either a vintage lady's magazine or book, but I have used a few of them and they do work! Thought I would pass them on to my foodie friends. 

25 Vintage Cooking Tips

  1. A little oatmeal adds much flavor and richness when used as a thickener for soups. Try it.
  2. Believe it or not, a boiled egg should never be boiled. Simmering produces tastier, better results. The same is also true of “hard-boiled” eggs.
  3. Cheese souffle will stay up high, light, handsome, if you use quick-cooking tapioca instead of flour to thicken the milk base. Take 3 tablespoons tapioca to 1 cup milk for a 3-egg souffle.
  4. Add one-quarter teaspoon soda to cranberries while cooking them and they will not require much sugar.
  5. Don’t add sugar to sweeten peas. It’s much cheaper, and tastier, to cook peas with a few empty green pods.
  6. To prevent the smell of cooking greens, add a lump or so of loaf sugar to the water, or put a piece of dry toast in a clean muslin bag and boil it with the greens. Another method is to add a teaspoonful of vinegar to the water when it is boiling.
  7. Lemon juice or vinegar in the water cauliflower is cooked in makes it keep its snowy-white color.
  8. To preserve the color of green vegetables, put them on to cook in boiling water with a pinch of soda, or keep the cover off the kettle while boiling them.
  9. If a vegetable or cereal burns, plunge the vessel containing the burned mass into cold water and allow it to remain for a few minutes before pouring the contents into another pan. This will do away almost entirely with the burned taste which is so disagreeable.
  10. Salt beef is improved in flavor if a few small onions and a dessertspoonful of brown sugar are added while cooking.
  11. Vegetables that are to be cooked by steaming will preserve their color in the process if, after being washed in the usual way, they are given a final rinse in boiling water containing a little soda.
  12. To prevent the odor of boiling ham or cabbage permeating the house add a little vinegar to the water in which they are boiled.
  13. When frying fish, use clarified dripping or salad oil. Lard smells, and butter fries a bad color.
  14. A teaspoonful of vinegar added to the water in which eggs are poached keeps the whites from spreading and makes the whites cook over the yolk.
  15. To prevent milk or cream from curdling when used in combination with tomato, add a bit of bicarbonate of soda to each before they are mixed.
  16. Sausages will shrink less and not break at all if they’re boiled about 8 minutes before they’re fried, or rolled lightly in flour.
  17. Wash leafy vegetables, such as spinach, thoroughly just before cooking. Add no water–the water that clings to the leaves is enough to cook them in.
  18. To keep cauliflower snowy white, soak for half an hour in cold salt water before cooking it.
  19. Lessen the odor of cooking turnips by adding a teaspoonful of sugar to the water. They’ll be more flavorful, too.
  20. When slicing potatoes, hold the paring knife over a gas flame or in boiling water and the potatoes will slice easily.
  21. Root vegetables, such as carrots, turnips, etc., should be freed from all dirt and grit; those of the green variety should be allowed to soak for a few minutes in cold water to which a generous pinch of salt has been added.
  22. You won’t waste flour if you dust it from a large saltshaker onto meats, fish, or patties, instead of dipping the food into the flour. It’s easier, too.
  23. Retain flavor and vitamins and save waste by boiling carrots in their skins. Instead of peeling, mash them with salt and pepper.
  24. Keep sweet potatoes from looking dried out by greasing the skins with any cooking fat or oil before baking them.
  25. Why waste celery tops? Cut them up and use to flavor meats, stews, soups, roasts, stuffings.

Secondly I want to thank one of my favorite foodies, Donna from My Tasty Treasures for passing some great awards to me! If you haven't visited her awesome blog yet...just what the heck are you waiting on? Seriously this girl will rock your socks with her obsession with Tyler Florence and kielbasa and most of all her recipes! She makes me wet my pants at least twice a week with her wit. Go check her out. 



The rules for the Friends Award are to pass them on to eight wonderful bloggers along with this message. 

 "These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated."It also says : "Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award." 

And the Excellent Blog Award



This was hard, not only to find ladies who haven't yet receive these awards...all my foodies friends hit the mark with being both charming and full of true friendship. I love them all. I truly appreciate all the comments and support you all give my tiny little spot on the web. You all inspire me and teach me. If you have a second check out my foodies friends link list...they each bring something different and delicious to the table. 

So now to pass both of these awards to some new friends, some old friends, and some I stalk, ummm....follow.

And last but not least my friend Melissa at Have You Seen My Sanity, for two reasons, its her birthday...and because she has helped me find forgotten recipes! 

18 comments:

Susie said...

Thank you so much! I appreciate the recognition!

Chef E said...

Who knew there was an award with my name on it 'E', lol, thanks I appreciate you following me...I am still waiting for the 'screaming' blog you started :) I could belt out a few lately!

Ginger said...

Came to your blog through Donna and I have just one hour reading all those tips!! They are awesome. I definitely want to try some. Thank you for sharing....

Reeni said...

Thanks for all the great tips and congrats on your awards!!!

Donna-FFW said...

Awesome tips Kendra!!

Missew said...

Thanks Kendra! Those are some handy tips too!

Anonymous said...

Neat tips! Congrats on your awards!

Culinary Wannabe said...

Congrats on your award and thanks so much for sending it my way!! So sweet of you! and I really love the tips!

Kiezie said...

You are too kind! I love these award and I'll blog them soon. Thanks!! And I love the tips!

Amy said...

Great tips. Congrats on your awards.

Debbie said...

Congrats on the award and I love all the tips...have to try the one about the soda and cranberries!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Sussy for you on my blog!

Bunny said...

These are great tips, thanks for posting them!

Karen Brown Letarte said...

Kendra, these tips are awesome! I find vintage cooking and housekeeping information fascinating. Love your new blog look! And your vintage illustration is terrific!

Congratulations on your well-deserved awards! And thank you so much for sharing them with me! I am so honored and touched by your thoughtfulness. I will post these on my blog soon, with a link back to this post. Thank you again, Kendra!

Julia said...

I wish I cooked a wider variety of foods such that I could actually implement your suggestions. WA wa... not what you want to hear from the TAG hostess. Love the oatmeal though. I use it in meatloaf and it is wonderful!

Congrats on your award!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the award! I absolutely love your blog look.

Thanks for the hints too!

;) amy

Anonymous said...

These are great tips...who knew about the soda in the veggies! Cool, I'll try that.

Jescel said...

I do #1 & #14.. awesome tips!

Post a Comment