Wednesday, February 18

A yummy mouth full...Rum Honey Soaked Banana Walnut Cake

My youngest crumb snatcher is addicted to bananas. I have to make sure and buy at least two bunches at every shopping expedition. The last time the bananas were so green it made me pucker just looking at them. So I decided to be fun and buy the baby bananas. 

First I'll tell you one thing...HARD to peel...second, they looked great on the outside but mushy and over ripe on the inside. Mark wouldn't go near them. Who could blame him right. So sitting on my counter sat two large bunches of baby bananas...I just knew the gnats were going to move in within seconds and carry us all off. 

What do you do, you make banana bread right? Okay, I was a little bored with that idea...so this scrumptious cake was born.

Rum Honey Soaked Banana Walnut Cake

2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon banana flavoring
1 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
5 bananas or 15 baby bananas (extremely ripe)

For glaze sauce

1/4 cup Dark Rum
1/8 cup water
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup honey


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

Grease and flour a bunt or tube pan well. 

Peal and mash bananas until it looks like a paste.

In a large bowl dissolve baking soda in buttermilk and let sit for 2 minutes. Be careful of foam over flow. If it doesn't foam, its okay. Doesn't always foam for me either. 

Combine sugar, salt, flour, oil, eggs, vanilla, banana flavoring, nuts and bananas to buttermilk mixture. Mix by hand, careful not to over mix. 

Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until tester stick comes out with a small amount of sticky batter. Do not bake until tester is completely clean or you will have a dry banana cake. 

The last 5 minutes of baking time for cake. Bring all ingredients for glaze/sauce to a boil in a small sauce pan. Let boil for 3 minutes. Once cake is removed from oven, pour sauce over hot cake, especially around the sides. Let cake sit for 20 minutes before removing from pan to completely cool. Sprinkle cake with powder sugar and ENJOY!

**Freezes well

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a delicious idea! I love everything with rum, especially cake - it sounds heavenly!

Anonymous said...

Talk about comfort food! I just bought some green bananas for my little banana-holic. I'll have to set some aside to try this out!

It's also a great excuse to get some rum, yum!

;) amy

Reeni said...

What a scrumptious cake!! I have a whole bunch of bananas just about ready for the trash. I am sitting here trying to think of a way to make banana muffins more interesting!! Whatever I make won't compare to this!

Kiezie said...

This looks wonderful!! I hear you about the baby bananas!! We tried them once. We ended up putting them into a smoothie!! LOL!!

Stephanie said...

OK, very hungry now...

Post a Comment