Monday, February 16

A Homegrown Valentine's Day


Valentines Day really isn't a holiday we take notice of. For my husband and I it really is for young couples in puppy love or for the materialistic minds who just want another day to receive or give gifts. We don't feel it necessary to give each other a pat on the back for buying nasty heart shaped chocolates, over priced flowers, or silly musical plush animals who sing repulsive lovey dovey bubble gum pop songs. 

I'm not saying we are one of "those" couples who claim to shout from the rooftops how wonderful we find each others company or that we deeply profess our love each and every day of the year. We just don't need that calendar marked day to say I love you. We do it in simple ways. For instance my husband really isn't an expressive man. He isn't shy or dull by any means. He just doesn't give compliments freely and rarely does he voice emotions. That is except to me in private. He shows me by wrapping his arms around my waist when I'm cooking and nuzzles my neck, he covers me up in the morning after I've kick the blankets off, he strokes my hair when he thinks I've fallen asleep in the crook of his arm...its those little things. That's how we show each other how deep our love is. To the world he can be cold and reserved, but to me he is my mushy little teddy bear. I take those every day moments as my gift over candy and flowers. 

We didn't even see each other Valentines Day, other than a few minutes. He worked then took our oldest son to a Monster Truck show. I spent the evening with our daughter Hannah. Together she and I sat and talked to Nana, made pizza and had a girly night full of Pixie Hollow fairies and making a pinkalious Valentines Cake. She of course wanted to do it all herself and she did a fabulous job. Next lesson is to teach her to do decorative icing. This time she was perfectly happy with frosting, sprinkles, and candy hearts. 

Late that evening after the truck show, when all the kids were in bed...my husband and I spent a few moments talking about our day and the moments we had one on one with the kids. Me laying on his chest, listening to his heart beating, he tucking a strand of hair behind my ear...the contented sighs...it made the perfect Homegrown Valentines Day. 

4 comments:

Reeni said...

I think that's so sweet!!! I think it's cool how your hubby and son spend time together doing manly things and you and your daughter spend time doing the girlie things.
The cake looks pretty!

Gloria Chadwick said...

That's what Valentine's Day is all about -- not a calendar day for chocolate and flowers, but an every day way to show the people you care about that you love them in small yet very significant ways. Very nice. :)

Anonymous said...

Such a nice post! I do believe in celebrating your love everyday, we never do gifts or anything like that; but it is sometimes (when my husband is actually not on travel which is rare) a nice excuse to go out :)

Angie said...

What a wonderful post, Kendra. I would not have been able to say it as you did, but it's exactly how Brian and I feel about Valentine's Day. Glad you had a great time with your Mom and Hannah doing girl things while the boys were at the show...perfect for everyone. :)

Post a Comment