Sunday, February 8

Taste of the South: Shrimp and Grits

To a southerner, eating breakfast without grits is practically a sin. Die hard connoisseurs of grits will tell you only stone ground long cooking grits are worth the time and others think the invention of quick cooking grits are better than sliced bread. I don't mind quick cooking grits, but can spot instant from a mile away. Personally I think eating a hand full of dirty gravel has more appeal. 

Grits, like oatmeal can be enjoyed with many add-ins. Only difference is they are savory instead of sweet. Red eye gravy, various cheeses, breakfast meats, eggs, and seafood just to name a few. 

Shrimp and grits or breakfast shrimp, is a traditional Low Country dish, yet enjoyed throughout the south. The base of this dish is grits with shrimp sauteed in bacon fat or butter. As times change so do traditional dishes. Now this simple breakfast of fishermen has made its presence on the menus of fine restaurants throughout the country. It's not just for breakfast anymore. Below is the recipe my family enjoys. 

Shrimp and Grits

Grits

4 cups water
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups grits (long or quick will work fine)
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons butter


Shrimp

6 slices bacon
2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup flour
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cups chopped green onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Directions

In a large pot bring water, chicken broth, half and half and salt to a boil. Whisk in grits gradually and reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add cheddar cheese, Parmesan, and butter. Set to the side and keep warm.

Fry bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Remove and drain on paper towel to remove excess oil. Reserve 2 1/2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in the skillet. Crumble bacon and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, pepper and salt. Dredge shrimp in flour shaking off any excess.

In hot bacon drippings saute mushroom until tender. Stir in green onion and garlic; saute for another 2 minutes. Add shrimp and continue to saute until another 2 minutes until thoroughly cooked (approx. 2 minutes). Stir in remaining chicken broth, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Continuously stirring to loosen bits from bottom, cook for another 2 minutes.

Serve grits topped with shrimp mixture on top and crumbled bacon. Enjoy.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love shrimp and grits. There's something really delicious and comforting about that dish. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Elaine said...

Stopping by from SITS....I grew up in South Carolina and I love grits. I've never tried them with shrimp though...maybe because I was't from the "low country" but upstate....but it looks delicious. I think I'll give it a try sometime soon. Looks like your blog is loaded with great recipes!
Elaine

Reeni said...

I've been wanting to make shrimp and grits for a long time. I've never had them but they sure do look delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Anonymous said...

I've never had shrimp and grits either, but my husband always wants me to make it. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

;) amy

Anonymous said...

I love schrimps but I'm not familiar with grits. But the photo seems gorgeous.

Julia said...

Here I am again at 8:30 at night. I've brushed my teeth and need NOT eat anything else. However, my stomach is growling and you are presenting shrimp and cookies.... Naughty food. Cant tell I'm hungry much can ya.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Looks very yummy I've never had Grits before, but I've heard they are excellent. Your dish looks just like a dish that was on Ulitimate Food Challenge on the food network I think it was last week.

Stopping by from SITS :)

Bunny said...

i've never had grits, but this recipe is tempting me to make them, it looks so good!

CarolinaDreamz said...

Kendra,

You are my hero. I was just asking about this.. wanting to try it. I can't wait to make it, now. Thanks.

~Heidi @ WithaZ.net

Rico said...

Grits...never had it. is that a very American thing, I surely like the topping, so I am sure grits or not that would go down a treat, and I would get to know what grits are (i know you said oats, but I mean taste) I may make this just to find out. cheers thx 4 sharing

Maggie said...

This looks like a perfect rendition of shrimp and grits!

Post a Comment