Monday, March 30

Simplicity at it's BEST #3...Pimento Cheese

My husband claims to be a pimento cheese snob. He truly is.....now, but that wasn't always the case.  What he doesn't remember s the first time I made him homemade pimento cheese he asked me what the little red things were. LOL...guess his only experience was the plastic tubes of you buy in the supermarket. Poor man. 

If you have never made your own, I pity you. You are still stuck in the cave man era of sandwich spreads. I promise you this, if you do, then try to sneak back to the prepackaged junk cheese stuff your taste buds will revolt. Then make you swallow your own tongue before it will let that revolting load of crud pass threw your lips again. Mean sneaky little boogers they are. 

Pimento Cheese

4 oz of cream cheese
1- 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese (for milder flavor try Colby Jack)
1/2 cups of mayonnaise
3 tablespoons of pimentos
2 medium shallots, chopped fine
Salt and cracked pepper to taste

Let cream cheese sit out until it reaches room temperature. 


The key to good pimento cheese is cheese and how well you cream the cream cheese. Make sure to take the extra 5 minutes to grate your own cheese. It really is simple and makes the pimento cheese so much more lighter and creamier. 


Mix all ingredients well until smooth and fluffy. 



*Great on sandwiches, crackers, use as a vegetable dip or try it on a burger at your next cookout! 



I want to thank my bloggy friend The Blonde Duck from A Duck In Her Pond for the awesome blog awards!! Thank you so much my little chickadee! If you all haven't visited her wonderful website you are missing out! Great food, recipes, humor and stories! 

I pass this award to 

17 comments:

Ginger said...

I really like this recipe. I love pimento cheese spread and really have never seen a recipe on how to make it. My son loves grilled pimento cheese sandwiches. Wait till I serve him a sandwich made with this! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

My family will totally love this! And these are ingredients I regularly have! Excellent!

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

I love homemade pimento cheese spread. I've not ever grated the cheese myself though, I may try it...and instead of the cream cheese I've used Velveeta, Mama always adds vinegar and sugar to hers so I try to do that. I want to try yours though as I am a pimento cheese connoisseur LOL!

Hey, have you ever tried minced green bell pepper or just a touch of jalapeno pepper, yum-yum!

Thanks for the award, that is so sweet of you!

Chef E said...

YUM girl, you just re-surfaced a memory I had long forgotten since I am married to the 'please do not buy sandwich speak' snob! My ex-mother in law taught me how to make this when the kids were teeny tine and I loved it...looks good, and could you spread a little on a cracker and sneak it to me, hubby is about to leave for work, shhhhhh!

Amy said...

Congrats on your award. The cheese looks good.

Culinary Wannabe said...

Pimento sandwiches were my all time favorite growing up. And knowing my mom they were exactly that ick from the store! I'm going to have to see how it tastes when you make it from scratch!

Bob said...

Congratz on the award! I've actually never had pimento cheese, I should give it a shot.

The Blonde Duck said...

Thanks for the shout out!

I didn't even know you could make pimento cheese. I'm going to have to crawl out of my Pond cave and try this!

Anonymous said...

My step-mother is a huge pimento cheese fan! I am bringing this recipe to her the next time I see her.

I've never really tried it, I'll have to give it a shot!

Bunny said...

People sell this cheese at farmers markets around here, thanks for the recipe! Now I can make my own!

Reeni said...

I've had some bad pimento cheese from the market. This far surpasses any of them! It looks great!

Donna-FFW said...

Congrats on your awards!! You deserve it. AND thank you for thinking of me!! Thank you!!! It made my day!! You are so sweet!! I love this dip!! I am going to try it, it looks wonderful!!

grace said...

pimento cheese is something i really enjoy, but until two minutes ago when i read your post, i had no idea what was in it. thanks. :)

Absolutely Ladylike said...

Oh my God it looks fabulous, I have to try this in the weekend, thanks a lot! Love: Evi

Julia said...

How tasty would that be with the muscat wine I just bought??? More great awards, I am not surprised! :)

Karen Brown Letarte said...

OMG, I am so out of it-- THANKS for passing on the TRIPLE award to me-- you are so kind for sharing it. I think I must have read the wrong post and picked up the wrong award! My mind has been so scattered lately. Thanks so much, Kendra. This pimiento cheese looks so delicious! :) K

Post a Comment