Tuesday, March 3

Screams From My Front Porch

That is my second home from here. I decided to transfer all family topics, rants, raves, and my general daily delusions to a new blog home. Screams From My Front Porch, seems a fitting name. 

I do it on a daily bases, either calling the super fab pooch, the kids to stay away from the road, or on days like we had this weekend. Dreaded snow turning into black ice. In North Carolina we rarely get snow...although we've been dumped on this winter. Snow I don't mind, its when we get 10 inches, then 5 of them melt and refreeze making a solid sheet of hard ice. It pulls large tree limbs, downs power and cable lines and makes it impossible to drive without slamming into non-moving objects. 

As you can see, it started out very pretty. 



Then of course the next day..... Tomorrow should be worse. The road look clear doesn't it? Nope, its a solid sheet of black ice. Anyone up for some skating?


Yes we lost powder. It flickered all weekend. One hour with, one without. Then went completely out on Monday afternoon. We just got it back up this morning. Thank gosh for kerosene heaters, oil lamps, and poker chips. So now you all know why we southerners go bonkers at the slightest call for flurries. It's not the snow we fear...its being trapped by ice. 

So needless to say, there has been no cooking at my house this weekend. I had planned on something special, but we got stuck with sandwiches and cold leftovers. I hope all my fabulous foodie friends kept warm and toasty, chowing down scrumptious goodies..I hope you ate enough for me! 

13 comments:

Christy said...

The photo's are beautiful, but it can be such a headache and utter pain!

Anonymous said...

Love your new blog name. Beautiful snow shots. We had a lot of snow here yesterday but it's starting to melt to day though it was still a little tough getting out of our neighborhood this morning.

Nicole P said...

Ack, I hate hate hate snow, ice and mudd (that is what you will have tomorrow, lol). Looks beautiful bc it is not here though :)

Donna-FFW said...

The pictures are just so very gorgeous! LOVE them! So pretty..

Donna-FFW said...

The pictures are just so very gorgeous! LOVE them! So pretty..

Chef E said...

Oh no, I remember days like that when we would have power lines go down from ice...we lived on a hill and that was not fun driving up and down to get in and out!

Poker chips, we sang and made up games, cheesy right :)

Your pictures are pretty!

Karen Brown Letarte said...

Oh, Kendra-- I am so with you. We got snow here in Wake County, but not nearly as much as you and the ice has not been bad. So sorry to hear your power went out, too! Where in NC do you live? I grew up in Asheville and live in the Triangle now, with my son and my darlin' companion. Check out my Brunswick stew recipe: it has mostly canned and frozen ingredients and yes, you CAN make it on a camp stove. (Ice storm, 2002, no power, 6 days, 7 nights). Glad your power is back! Go have some hot cocoa and put those cute little marshmallows in it!

:)

Susie said...

That blows!

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh no! I hope you get some tasty food soon! That would suck!

CreativeMish said...

We've never had an ice storm in Idaho that I'm aware of. We do get snow though. Today we had wind, sunshine, rain and hail... and when I got home from work I see the tulips are up about an inch! Spring is on its way!

Culinary Wannabe said...

What beautiful pictures! I understand how awful getting around in ice can be though. Be careful!

Bunny said...

I live in Pa. we're so use to this stuff it doesn't faze us anymore but I can totally understand why it messes with everybody who isn't use to it. Hold on better days are coming in the form of SPRING!!!

Kendra said...

Hey Karen. I'm in a tiny little town called Faith, right next to Salisbury. It's about an hour north east of Charlotte but in the piedmont. We got loaded. It's mostly gone now. Especially after today. LOL I had my kitchen window open believe it or not. Crazy weather.

Post a Comment