Tuesday, June 2

Rolls you won't mind lugging around...

My family, especially my daughter has a major weakness when it comes to cinnamon rolls. When I say that I mean...not a crumb or even a smudge of icing left on the platter. These are a great way for me to show a little homegrown love on lazy Sunday mornings. 

A few weeks ago my friend Stephanie over at A Close Knit Family mentioned having seen a recipe using potatoes. I had never heard of such a thing and was frankly a little weary. Then...there it was in a recent Bon Appetite magazine...Yukon Gold Cinnamon Rolls. I had to try them and boy am I glad I did! Using potatoes not only made a beautiful dough...the rolls were extremely tasty and moist. Who knew mashed potatoes could be so versatile! So next time you make mashed potatoes...same some for cinnamon rolls. 


Dough:
  • 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 3 large eggs
  • 4 1/2 cups (or more) unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
  • 3 1/4-ounce envelopes active dry yeast (scant 2 tablespoons)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar

Filling:
  • 1 1/3 cups (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons unbleached
  • all purpose flour
  • 9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, room temperature

Glaze:
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons (or more) whole milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon coarse kosher salt


For dough:
Combine potatoes, 2 cups water, and 1 tablespoon coarse salt in large saucepan. Boil until potatoes are very tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Mash potatoes with water in pan (do not drain water). Add butter and mash until butter is melted. Whisk in eggs, then 1 cup flour; mash until very smooth. Let potatoes stand until barely lukewarm, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour 1/2 cup warm water into large bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment; stir in yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add potato mixture to yeast mixture; mix on low speed until well blended, 2 minutes. Mix in 3 cups flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well. Beat until sticky dough forms.

Spread 1/2 cup flour on work surface. Scrape dough out onto floured work surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls if dough is very sticky, about 8 minutes.

Coat large bowl with butter. Transfer dough to bowl and turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, then kitchen towel. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, make filling:
Mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour in medium bowl. Using fork, mix in butter.

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 425°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Turn dough out onto well-floured work surface. Roll out dough to 24x16-inch rectangle. Sprinkle filling evenly over dough. Starting at 1 long side, roll up dough jelly-roll style, enclosing filling. Using large knife dipped in flour, cut roll crosswise into 12 pieces. Transfer rolls to baking sheet, spacing rolls about 3/4 inch apart. Cover baking sheet loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm draft-free area until almost doubled in volume, about 20 minutes (rolls will be very puffy).

Bake cinnamon rolls until golden, about 20 minutes. Cool rolls 10 minutes on baking sheet.

Meanwhile, make glaze: 
Whisk powdered sugar, melted butter, 2 tablespoons milk, vanilla, and coarse salt in small bowl. If glaze is too thick to spread, add more milk by 1/2 teaspoonfuls as needed. Spread glaze over warm rolls.


I also want to thank sweet ole Mrs. Honeysuckle from Honeysuckle Nectar for my most recent blog award. :::blushing::: Thank you so very much. She has three very wonderful blogs. Go check them out. 


I would love to pass this award to

 Melissa Have You Seen My Sanity

Grace A Southern Grace

Kim Blessed Hope

Karen Phit Diva



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH my cinnamon rolls and potatoes...my two guilty pleasures together in one!

I can smell them cooking right now.

Chef E said...

Oh my Kendra, this sounds and looks fantastic, I have never had anything like them. Wonder could I use potato flour, along with other gluten free four? Man I want one right now!

Anonymous said...

Yum. Are mine coming through the mail?

Bunny said...

These look fantastic, I've made cinnamon rolls from my potato bread recipe and believe me I know how good they are!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those look fabulous! Yukon Gold potatoes in a dough is such an interesting idea!

Btw, I just posted (finally!) the recipe that I made with wine jelly! Thanks so much! We really enjoyed it!

grace said...

well thanks a million, kendra! and given my undying love for cinnamon rolls, this is the perfect post for you to mention the award. :)

Reeni said...

I love potato bread, so I imagine these must be divine! I am the same way when I eat cinnamon rolls, licking the plate clean, especially if these were on it.

MrsHoneysuckle said...

Ooooo. Looks VERY good Kendra! I had the same skepticism about using the mashed potatoes for a different recipe...Should have known! LOL BTW, Thanks for the plug! LOL

Domestic Designer said...

Yummy! Love your blog!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

OH wow these look beyond delicious....I need to go bake me some right now:)

Post a Comment