Sunday, March 8

Those Old Familiars: Scuppernongs and fudge


North Carolina. There is no better place on earth in my opinion. The beautiful beaches, the Outerbanks, wild horses on the Ocracoke Islands, breathtaking mountains, and gentle rolling foothills. 


We have it all, including some of the best vineyards. When explorers first set foot upon these shores they discovered that North Carolina had more grapes than Italy, Europe, and all alike at that day and age.  Our grapes are the oldest cultivated grapes in the world. There is still an original vine called the Mothervine on Roanoke Island that continues to grow and has since the 1500's. And it only grows wild in North Carolina. Ahh, that lovely sweet scuppernong.

 As a child I remember eating hordes of them until we were all sick with its fruity sweetness. Now as an adult I love it even more. Scuppernog wines are my favorite. A sweet wine. It's crisp and slightly sweet. Like plucking a grape from the vine and revelling in all its flavor.  

I've stocked up on my favorite local vintage and have big plans for the up and coming week. 


Here is a sneak peak. What a better why to experiment with my favorite familiar than with another familiar...chocolate. Spicy chocolate scuppernong fudge. A chocolate lovers delight. A smooth, rich and creamy texture with the perfect tangy sweet taste of chocolate and the slight wow of spice. 




Spicy Chocolate Scuppernong Fudge

1/4 lb Oleo
12 oz package chocolate chips
1 lb powdered sugar
1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/3 cup Scuppernong wine

Butter a rectangular 1 inch deep dish thoroughly. 

In a medium saucepan melt Oleo and chocolate chips together. Set aside. Mix powdered sugar, cayenne pepper and wine together until smooth. Combine both mixtures together. Spoon mixture into buttered dish. Refrigerate fudge for 1 hour. Cut into 1 inch squares using a non serrated  knife. Enjoy!


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, are you sending me some of this wine? I used to feel the same way about NC. I thought it was so great. Then I met you know who and she is from there, that ruined it for me. Haha!

Gloria Chadwick said...

I've heard the word Scuppernong before, but didn't know what it was. Now I want some wine! :)

Donna-FFW said...

Now, notonly do I want fudge, but I want to go visit North Carolina. You describe it beautifully.

Reeni said...

I never saw fudge made from wine before. That puts the dee in delicious!

Bob said...

I've never heard of scuppernog, I think I've been missing out! That fudge looks wicked good, I love the idea of fudge made with wine.

Chef E said...

Wow, I love it, and almost sounds like my head was reading 'supercalifragious...' or what ever Mary Poppins always sang...meaning I love chocolate and spice together and a musical is going on in my head right now of dancing fudge...

Anonymous said...

I haven't had the Scuppernong wine either. Sounds interesting and what a great idea to make fudge with it! Wow, super delicious!

Bunny said...

Your description of NC made me jealous that I don't live there! I'd love to see more pictures of it. A new word for me (Scuppernong) and a new fudge recipe! Wine in fudge is genius!

Susie said...

That sounds so yummy! I love that we have the oldest vine:-)

grace said...

the density of that fudge combined with the creaminess it appears to involve makes me weak in the knees.
and dang, i miss the south. :)

Karen Brown Letarte said...

Kendra, I have to agree with you! You name it, I've lived there, and NC is the absolute best place on earth to live. This is an amazing recipe! You are so ingenious. We didn't have scuppernongs up in Asheville where I grew up. I think I had some at my mom's old family homestead in Americus, GA once. I just remember how thick the skins were, and how fun it was to spit the seeds at each other. (We were such lovely children!)

Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment